Upside Down Pizza Casserole
This recipe feeds the whole family with a comforting casserole that takes a spin into the world of pizza. It’s the perfect fusion if you ask us! With a meat layered bottom, topped with cheese and a crust that you pour over before baking, the outcome is certainly surprising to see, and even more delicious. When you try it, you’ll know exactly why it’s called an Upside-Down Pizza, because the flavors are perfectly aligned with a pizza, in a heartier way that delivers way more meat per “slice”. Give this one a try tonite! It might just be a new family favorite!
- 1 lb ground italian sausage (we used turkey!)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a saute pan over medium-high heat, brown your sausage meat along with the onion and green pepper. Add in the minced garlic for the last few minutes of cooking. Should you need to, drain any fat from the pan before going to the next step.
- Add in your pizza sauce and mix well.
- Pour meat & sauce mixture into your 9×13 pan, and sprinkle cheese on top in an even layer.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together flour, eggs, milk, oil, salt and Italian seasoning until a pourable batter has formed.
- Pour batter over entire dish, spreading out with the back of a spoon to the edges.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until the crust has fully cooked and browned all over.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a minute before slicing and serving. Enjoy!