This 1 Simple Trick will Keep Your Makeup Brushes in Top Condition
Would you ever shampoo your hair and skip the conditioner? Never.
So why leave your natural (aka, non-synthetic) brushes high and dry? They’re more similar in texture to your hair than anything else.
Plus, when natural bristles become brittle and dry, it can effect how makeup applies to the skin. So, along with regular cleaning for hygiene, don’t forget to condition them.
“The bristles will be softer and break less, and you’ll lengthen the longevity (of your brushes),” explained Susie Lee, makeup artist and founder of Echo Vie.
“Good brushes are expensive and can range from $25 – $75 and beyond,” added Mindy Green, owner of MG Beauty. Quality brushesare expected to last five or more years. It’s definitely an investment you want to protect.
At TODAY Style we love this simple recipe that’ll clean, disinfect and re-hydrate your bristles in one fell swoop. You just need two simple ingredients … and you probably already have them in your pantry!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 lemon
- Small bowl
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
1. Slice a lemon and squeeze it into a bowl.
2. Add in 4-5 drops of coconut oil.
3. Give each brush a swirl! If you have heavy-duty creams on the bristles, give it a thorough wash with baby shampoo beforehand.
4. Rinse brushes under warm water until you remove any residue. If you overdid it with the oil, swish brushes in a bowl filled with only lemon juice to remove any excess oiliness.
5. Lay brushes flat to dry.
Now they’re in mint condition!
You don’t need to do this every single time you wash them; once every 2-3 washes is plenty. Because you are washing them every week or so, right? Right?